Review: L'Oreal Preference Permanent Haircolor in 5.1 Medium Ash Brown (with Pictures)

xfurbeauty Loreal Medium Ash Brown photo xfurbeautyLorealMediumAshBrown_zps3aba4779.jpg

I think it's time for me to do a review on L'Oreal Preference Permanent Haircolor in 5.1 Medium Ash Brown. I started off with natural, virgin black hair with my ends colored (nothing dramatic). I can't believe I thought that was a drastic change. Looking at what I've done to my hair now, it wasn't, lol. Below, I'm going to show you guys my timeline of going from black to what I achieved with the Medium Ash Brown dye.


Here's a picture of me with natural, virgin black hair with my ends colored. This was summer of 2012. I've come a long way from this. I still like my natural hair color, but the change isn't bad. I can always grow my hair out! Am I going to do that soon? Absolutely not. I'm having way too much fun. :D

This was the first time I colored my hair with L'Oreal Preference in Medium Ash Brown (not mixed with any other dye). I liked it. It looked darker or lighter under certain lightings. My bathroom has yellow lights, so that's why it doesn't look like ash brown. In person, it did. Here's another picture: click here
If you're interested:
How I Achieved My Hair Color
Getting My Hair Done


The good news is...this dye fades into a beautiful brown color. :) I liked this color more than the actual color I was aiming for.


Here are the Pros and Cons....

Pros:

+ Beautiful medium ash brown color, grayish, ashy, true to color
+ Tones down brassiness (is blue based)
+ Fades into a beautiful color

Cons:

+ Dye is harsh on hair (drying)

I would def repurchase this hair dye again. The color is gorgeous. The faded color is too. The only downside is that it's very drying on the hair, but I always deep condition and moisturize my hair. Still, it would be nice if it didn't dry my hair out as much. Time for a different brand? Perhaps.

- Jenni

Comments

  1. Very pretty! Your hair is an inspiration for the color I want-- what volume (lift) of developer did you use? Or, did you use the loreal color preferences box sold at drug stores?
    Thanks! Lovely hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I used Clairol Professional 30 Volume Developer (from what I remember). I hope this helps! :)

      - Jenni

      Delete
  2. That you put dye in the second photo. Please answer me I want to paint liket. Is so beautiful your hair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L'Oreal Preference Permanent Haircolor in 5.1 Medium Ash Brown fades into that color!

      - Jenni

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. No problem! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!! :)

      - Jenni

      Delete
    2. The third picture is in sunlight, so I stay as long hair? is ashy or reddish? In the photo looks beautiful ash and hopefully I stay like in your picture is cute.
      I'm sorry for asking so much is that it is the color that I have always locate and fear of being wrong, it would be good to hang videos dyes know good! They are beautiful. Congratulations Jenni

      Delete
    3. My hair in the third picture was an ash brown color no matter where I was!! I used purple/blue shampoos to keep it an ash color! The color kept on fading afterwards though! Thank you! =]

      - Jenni

      Delete
  4. Hi,
    Please can you briefly explain in detail what products you used to get from your original dark brown/black hair to this colour? Including bleach, developer etc...anything that was not included in the L'oreal box dye. Thanks you very much, the colour is gorgeous.
    - Lina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!
      The link to 'How I Achieved My Hair Color' is in the post. Here it is if you missed it! - http://bit.ly/138OUJI

      - Jen

      Delete
  5. I followed your steps and I'm very happy with the result! Thank you thank you thank you!

    Would you say this is your favorite of the ash dyes? I tried the Clairol Soy4Plex and it washed out in 2 washes! :( So far L'oreal is better.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! :)

      I wouldn't say that it's my favorite, but I do like the color that it gave me! :D I would use it again in the future if I want an Ash Brown shade again! :)

      - Jen

      Delete
  6. hi,
    this picture looks lighter than when you mixed both L'Oreal Preference Permanent Haircolor in 5.1 Medium Ash Brown and L'Oreal Excellence Permanent Haircolor 6.1 in Light Ash Brown. would u agree?
    my hair is already colored its starting to get brassy but want the ash brown in your pic. Would u suggest me mixing? or the 5.1 or 6.1 on its own? thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What if I want to achieve this color but im starting from med brown?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi I hope you could repost your pictures :(( i was planning to dye my hair ash brown but I'm not yet sure whether I should go for the medium or light one...please please thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I've re-posted the photo of my medium ash brown hair on my instagram! Here is the link to my instagram - http://bit.ly/1Mi2YYN =)

      - Jen

      Delete

Post a Comment