Light Ash Brown & Medium Ash Brown Hair Color Questions Answered!

I've received tons of questions on how I achieved my Light Ash Brown/Medium Ash Brown hair color. I decided to make a post on how I achieved that hair color in detail (from what I remember, it's been a year or so). I recently colored my hair black and chopped my long hair off! I have a whole new look! It's kind of petrifying. But hey, I hope I grow a few inches back in the next couple of months! I hope! Also, I'm trying to grow my bangs out! I'll try my best to remember what I did. Let's begin!

FYI: I colored my hair by myself. Not at the salon!! Everything was done by ME.

I started off with virgin black hair. That means that I never colored my hair before. Nada.

VIRGIN BLACK HAIR

The first step to achieving my ash brown hair color was to bleach my hair. I used L'oreal Quick Blue Powder Bleach. You can purchase this at Sally's (all hair products can be purchased at Sally's as well). With the L'Oreal Quick Blue Powder Bleach, I used Clairol Professional Soy 4 Plex Creme 30 Extra Lift. How much did I use of each? I guesstimated starting off with equal parts. I left the bleach on my hair for about 20 minutes or less. Watched it. Make sure to watch how fast your hair color lightens. Your hair color could lighten in 10, 15, or 20 minutes!! After that, I rinsed the bleach out.

Once I was done bleaching my hair, I had to remove the unpleasant brassy/orange undertones. By the way, my hair wasn't that orange, the bleach did an awesome job at turning my hair blonde. I used Wella Permanent Liquid Hair Toner in T18 Lightest Ash Blonde. I mixed this toner with Ion Sensitive Scalp 20 Volume Developer. Left this mixture in my hair for about 30-45 minutes (box instructions). Wella did a great job at removing the brassy/orange undertones in my hair. I highly recommend it!

BLONDE

I did not color my hair Medium Ash Brown the same night. I wanted to give my hair strands a rest. The next morning, I colored my hair Medium Ash Brown. The first time I colored my hair, I used L'oreal Preference Permanent Hair Color in 5.1 Medium Ash Brown. I used Clairol Professional Soy 4 Plex Creme 30 Extra Lift (again, same one as the bleach, mentioned above) with the 5.1 Medium Ash Brown. Equal parts of each. Voila! I had Medium Ash Brown Hair!

MEDIUM ASH BROWN

This color eventually faded into this.

FADED HAIR COLOR

The faded hair color looked amazing. But, I thought about going lighter, which I did. So I used L'Oreal Preference Permanent Hair Color in 6.1 Light Ash Brown. Again, I used a 30 volume developer (like above). Equal parts. I ended up achieving Light Ash Brown.

LIGHT ASH BROWN

If you look closely, you can see a mix of colors because I had a faded Medium Ash Brown color before I dyed my hair Light Ash Brown.

Since I thought Light Ash Brown was too light for me, and Medium Ash Brown was too dark, I decided to mix Light Ash Brown and Medium Ash Brown together. From what I remember, I practically experimented with my colors. I knew I wanted a darker color than Light Ash Brown, so I used more Medium Ash Brown than Light Ash Brown. I used a 30 volume developer in this mixture. My final results can be found HERE.

Looking at the pictures actually makes me miss my ash brown hair color! :( Sadly, ash brown is a difficult hair color to maintain. The reason why I opted for blue black, ashy dark black hair (also difficult to maintain, but easier than ash brown, haha). The good news is that my hair looks healthier with a darker color. I would definitely do medium ash brown again if I feel spontaneous in the future!

I hope this helps! If you have any further questions, comment below!

Visit me: www.xfurbeauty.com

Comments

  1. Yay! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you mix the colors together? Do you just mix two of the developer cream and the both types colors together as well ( which the products comes from the box )?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you take the photos down? When I clicked on the link it didn't work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment