Light Ash Brown vs Medium Ash Brown

I've been experimenting with L'Oreal Preference Permanent Haircolor in 5.1 Medium Ash Brown and L'Oreal Excellence Permanent Haircolor in 6.1 Light Ash Brown. Here's my opinion on both of these dyes. Let's start with the 5.1 Medium Ash Brown...

My hair coloring adventure started out with L'Oreal Preference Permanent Haircolor in 5.1 Medium Ash Brown. My first impression was that the color was too dark. It was a slight change from my all-natural black/reddish hair. That was until...people started to ask me if I colored my hair. I actually got a lot of positive compliments on my hair. To me, that meant that there was a visible change in my hair color. The color grew on me. I loved it. In a couple of weeks, the color faded to a light brown color with a little bit of blonde in it. It was a beautiful color. I kept it until my roots started to show. The color started to go downhill from there (like every hair dye out there). That's when I went out to buy L'Oreal Excellence 6.1 in Light Ash Brown...

The reason why I purchased L'Oreal Excellence Permanent Haircolor 6.1 in Light Ash Brown was because I liked the faded color of L'Oreal Preference Permanent Haircolor in 5.1 Medium Ash Brown. Instead of coloring my hair medium ash brown and wait for it to fade, why not just go directly to light ash brown?? Big mistake! Light ash brown looked great on the first day. After a few days, the color looked way too light for my liking. It looked like it faded that quick. I was shocked.

So I decided to mix L'Oreal Preference Permanent Haircolor in 5.1 Medium Ash Brown and L'Oreal Excellence Permanent Haircolor 6.1 in Light Ash Brown together to get a color that's not too light or not too dark. This is what I got! A chocolatey medium ash brown color that's not too dark or too light. Perfect. With a few washes, it'll lighten up!

xfurbeauty Medium Ash Brown 2 photo xfurbeauty1hair_zps288ab873.jpg

xfurbeauty Medium Ash Brown 2 photo WP_011319_zps5dcc1f56.jpg

Since I've finished up my L'Oreal Preference and Excellence bottles, I'm done with them. I'm going to try another brand. Perhaps, a dye that's a cream. I despised the liquid/liquid-gel/liquid-creme formulas. Ugh! They were so messy and runny (of course, it's a liquid, lol). The dye would get everywhere! I'll be on the look-out for another medium ash brown & light ash brown. The mixture looks beautiful. =) I decided not to go red (yet). Red is too hard to keep up. Plus, brown shades tend to look more natural. :)

- Jenni

Comments

  1. Thank you for this post! I love the outcome of what you did. Btw the color suits you! :) God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenni. I would just like to ask if the color fades easily? and before you colored it with mixed light and medium ash brown what was your hair color? Hoping for a response. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! The color faded in 2 weeks for me (from what I recall). Before I did the mix, I believe it was this color...

      http://bit.ly/WS1d7z
      http://bit.ly/WHURcf (second pic, better lighting)
      http://bit.ly/W3VwHU

      The second link is more true to color due to better lighting. I hope this helps! Thanks for stopping by! =)

      - Jenni

      Delete
  3. Hi there Jenni,

    Prior to dying your hair Medium Ash Brown (5.1) did you start off with natural black hair, or did you dye it on top of another colour? Or did you bleach it before you dyed it?

    Looking forward to hear from you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!

      Yes, I had natural black hair then I bleached it!

      - Jenni

      Delete
  4. So if we have a dark brown hair naturally and we want to dye our hair color neither to light or to dark do you recommend us to just buy the L'Oreal Excellence Permanent Haircolor 6.1 in Light Ash Brown to get the color you have?

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello... I LOVE your color!!! Currently having a 7.1 by palette but it's too light and redish for me!!! I have natural dark brown hair! how much did you leave the bleach on your hair before putting the dye?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I remember, less than 20 minutes? Not that long.

      - Jen

      Delete
  6. How did you mix the colors? I was going to pour half of the first color gel and half of the second color gel into the color optimizing creme

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey Jenni!

    I'm wondering what volume developer/bleach brands you used and if you toned it at all afterwards? Right now I have a red demi on my hair and I have tried light ash blonde to neutralize it however, it did not work ;\ just wondering what exact steps you took from ur black hair to get this color.. and also I can see it has been a while so I am wondering how hard it is to keep up and what you have been doing to keep up this color? it is beautiful by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can find the information here: http://bit.ly/138OUJI (What bleach I used, Toner, etc.) This color is very hard to keep up with! I gave up on it and dyed my hair black. :P Thanks and Good Luck! :]

      Delete
  8. hi jen I like your new hair color also the one u have as your account pic..I have brown hair how can I get that ashy color..can you suggest sth new or loreal again.and is it enough only use loreal or I need to bleach or sth beforehand..thanks for all the replies and take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment! :)

      Since you already have brown hair, I would use a blue based toner to get rid of the warmth. Any dye brand would do! It's really up to you! It doesn't have to be L'Oreal. I just happened to use L'Oreal. :) Good luck! :)

      - Jen

      Delete
  9. Hello I cant explain how much you have helped me... one more question! My hair is virgin and it is natural bblack would you bleach with what volume developer???? And right after that apply this color???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used 30 volume developer on my hair. After bleaching, I toned my hair to remove the brassiness. I applied the actual dye color after toning my hair.

      - Jen

      Delete
  10. Thank you so much you are adorable.! Do you have a Youtube Channel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! And thank you! :)
      I don't have a youtube channel. :(

      Delete
  11. Hi Jen ..i tried the medium ash brown but i got a green undertone o.o... i also used t18 inthink it was to much blue ..u.u for me .. or still to much yellow in my hair ... what tone of blonde did u had ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Jenni! I have black hair, i previosuly colored my hair back a year back! Shall i put the both dyes directly on my hair or shall I bleach it first?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Can you advice where to buy them? It seems to have run out of stock everywhere.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment