My Experience with The Oil Cleansing Method



Bergamot Oil, Organic Lavender & Tea Tree Oil, 100% Pure Tea Tree Oil, and Castor Oil. These are the remainders from my Oil Cleansing Method days.

About a few years ago, I was intrigued about a unique way of cleansing the skin. Instead of using commercial cleansers, I used a blend of my favorite oils to remove impurities and hydrate my skin. I learned about The Oil Cleansing Method when my skin became dry, taut, and flaky from store bought cleansers. Also, this method gave me more freedom and allowed me to be creative.
An Oil Blend is a mixture of cleansing oils, carrier oils, and essential oils. Each oil has different benefits for the skin. Some examples are:

Cleansing Oil
*Castor Oil: It cleanses the skin by removing dirt and bacteria from the pores.

Carrier Oils
*Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Light moisturizer, provides antioxidants.
*Jojoba Oil: Moisturizes, cleanses clogged pores without leaving the skin greasy.
*Grapeseed Oil: Emollient, leaves the skin soft and silky.

Essential Oils
*Lavender Oil: Soothing, anti-septic, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, treats acne and wrinkles.
*Tea Tree Oil: Anti-septic, anti-fungal, anti-bacteria, disinfectant, treats acne.

In my oil blend, I used castor oil as a cleansing oil. Despite castor oil being an oil, it's a thick and drying oil. I used jojoba oil as a carrier oil. Since I have acne prone skin, the best choice would be jojoba oil due to it being lightweight on the skin. I came up with oil blend percentages when I experimented with oil blending. For dry skin, 5% castor oil and 95% jojoba oil. For combination skin, 10% castor oil and 90% jojoba oil. For acne prone skin, 20% castor oil and 80% jojoba oil. Remember, jojoba oil can be replaced with any other desirable oil, and the percentages may be adjusted to suit your skin type. Tea tree oil or any another essential oil may be mixed into the oil blend.

I mixed all of my oils in a medicine drop bottle. This made it easier to access the oil and is hygienic. I dispensed a few drops into my palm and gently massaged the oil into my skin. Next, I took a warm wash cloth and draped it over my face. The purpose is to deliver a mini facial steam session. After a short steam, I wiped the excess oil off of my face. Some days, I cleansed my face with my favorite cleanser afterwards.

MY RESULTS
In a few days, my skin felt amazing! It felt more soft and moisturized! After weeks of using The Oil Cleansing Method, I was dissatisfied and infested with cystic acne. It was painful and disheartening. These pimples left horrible scars too. *cries* I knew that this was NOT the purging phase. Honestly, from my experience, purging happens when you use exfoliants or any skin care product that increases the cell turnover rate. But from oils? I don't think so. If you're thinking about doing The Oil Cleansing Method, you'll probably hear and read stuff like this:

"It will get worse before it gets better."
"It's bringing the impurities and toxins to the surface."
"It's natural. It's providing your skin nutrients instead of stripping the skin."

I, myself, bought into the claims that natural skin care means better results. In other words, less toxic and better for skin health. After experiencing The Oil Cleansing Method, I learned that I can't leave oils such as organic grape seed oil, organic extra virgin olive oil, or organic jojoba oil on my skin. It doesn't matter how natural, organic, or pure it is. My skin prefers cleansers that remove sebum from my skin, treated, and moisturized with a lightweight lotion. I would say, The Oil Cleansing Method would be better for people with no major acne problems! But, if you're curious, experiment at your own risk!

Has anyone tried The Oil Cleansing Method? I would love to know about your experience!!


Visit me: www.xfurbeauty.com

Comments

  1. I know exactly what you mean. I tried this a few years ago when I had major acne and it was just bad. Now I only use commercial oil cleansers to remove makeup. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Oil Cleansing Method is just bad for people with acne-prone skin! I've heard good things about commercial oil cleansers though! Like DHC Deep Cleansing Oil! I might give it a try after I finish all of my makeup removal facial wipes! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment